Deadline: 18 March 2017
United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (ECA) is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Economic Affairs Officer in Niamey, Niger.
ECA’s mandate is to promote the economic and social development of its member States, foster intra-regional integration, and promote international cooperation for Africa’s development.
Key Jobs Responsibilities
The Economic Affairs Officer will perform the following functions-
- Monitor economic developments in a defined area and identifies recurrent and emerging issues of concern to the United Nations.
- Design and conduct studies of selected issues in economic development and draft resulting reports.
- Formulate proposals for development strategies, policies and measures for presentation to intergovernmental bodies and others.
- Attend international, regional, and national meetings to hold discussions with representatives of other institutions.
- Organize expert group meetings, seminars, etc. on development issues.
- Prepare speeches and other inputs for presentations by senior staff.
- Represent organizational unit at international, regional and national meetings.
- Provide advisory services to the member States, the RECs and NGOs in West Africa in his/her area of responsibility.
- Design and monitor technical cooperation projects.
- Undertake missions to member states, either alone or as a participant in a diverse team, as part of the Organization’s technical cooperation activities.
- Prepare global, regional, national or sector analyses that provide a basis for advising national governments on economic development issues.
Applicants must have-
- Master’s degree or equivalent in economics or related field is required. Ph.D. in economics, business administration, statistics, or related field is highly desirable.
- A first-level university degree in combination with 2 years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Minimum 7 years of progressively responsible experience in economic research and analysis, policy formulation, application of economic principles in development programmes or related area is required.
- Experience at the international level is required.
- Experience in analyzing trends and policy challenges emerging in developing countries and knowledge society is desirable.
- Experience in writing research and analytical policy papers is an asset.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat.
- Fluency in oral and written French is required.
- Working knowledge of English is required.
- Knowledge of another official language is an advantage.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, please visit ECA.