Deadline: 21 February 2017
United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Policy Advisor in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. The duration of this post is 1 year.
The Policy Advisor will lead efforts to strengthen the strategic capacity of the UNCT and provide support to the RC in coordinating, formulating and adjusting appropriate UN responses to national development and humanitarian priorities in line with the SDGs and the GTP II.
UNDP works in nearly 170 countries and territories, helping to achieve the eradication of poverty, and the reduction of inequalities and exclusion.
Key Job Responsibilities
The Policy Advisor will perform the following functions-
- Support the RC in identifying and building partnerships of like-minded development partners in advancing UN normative agenda and development activities in Ethiopia.
- Enhance UN partnerships with the government, donors and regional inter-governmental organizations, including African Union (AU) and Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD) in Eastern Africa, and establish and maintain excellent relations with a range of partners, including academia, civil society, private sector and young people, in particular in the implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- Convene the JPAT, which acts as an internal think tank to the UNCT, providing regular policy advice and developing position papers for the UNCT on emerging development issues.
- Provide guidance to the policy integration adviser in the RCO, and ensure on-demand policy advisory support to the RC and the UNCT.
- Coordinate planning of activities, including through preparation and coordination of the RC/UNCT Annual Work Plan, innovative Joint Programme/Initiatives, based on assessments and other identified priorities and strategies; and ensure the preparation of the Resident Coordinator’s Annual Report.
- Coordinate implementation of the UNDAF, including through ensuring strategic guidance to the UNDAF Results Groups in the design and implementation of the UNDAF Joint Work Plans, including the Common Budgetary Framework (CBF), supporting the M&E process and keeping the UNDAF benchmarks on targets.
- In consultation with the RC, coordinate all activities emanating from the RCO, set priorities, develop the RCO annual work-plan and ensure follow-up and feedback.
- Provide strategic guidance through supervision and management of the RC team and promote teamwork to facilitate harmonization, integration and linkages.
- Provide sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Applicants must have-
- Master’s Degree in international development studies, law, political science, economics, statistics, management, coordination, social sciences, or other relevant field.
- A minimum of 10-year progressive professional work experience in international development, coordination and provision of management advisory services.
- Experience representing and mediating across complex stakeholders and establishing inter-relationships among international organization and national governments.
- Proven experience working in challenging contexts and promoting development coordination.
- Proven record on resource mobilization and fund raising.
- Sound knowledge of the UN system’s procedures and operational activities for development.
- Hands-on experience in the design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects is desirable.
- Knowledge about the UN reform agenda.
- Fluency in oral and written English is required.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, please visit UNDP.