Deadline: 10 March 2017
Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Protection Officer in Dolo Ado and Jijiga, Ethiopia. The duration of this post is 1 year.
The Protection Officer will oversee the planning and implementation of high quality and timely delivery of protection activities with the view of supporting refugees and host communities to access justice and other protection services.
DRC fulfills its mandate by providing direct assistance to conflict-affected populations – refugees, internally displaced people (IDPs) and host communities in the conflict areas of the world.
Key Jobs Responsibilities
The Protection Officer will perform the following functions-
- Plan, supervise and facilitate DRC’s protection related interventions in the refugee camps and host community areas.
- Ensure the high quality and timeliness of DRC’s protection activities.
- Empower local authorities, communities and other stakeholders to manage and promote access to justice for refugee and host communities, incl. local dispute resolution mechanisms.
- Facilitate relations between DRC, the target communities, and local authorities, ensure positive and productive outcomes in the areas of protection and access to justice.
- Collaborate with partners to prepare and conduct needs and stakeholder mapping and analysis.
- Plan and conduct trainings on international protection standards for refugees, migrants, and internally displaced persons.
- Support the establishment of links to appropriate legal aid providers, such as university law faculties or mobile legal aid initiatives, to enable service expansion to refugee camps.
- Facilitate the extension of referral systems particularly to access legal aid services.
- Prepare, regularly review, and implement the activity plan for protection activities, as per requirements under the RDPP projects.
- In collaboration with DRC’s area management and procurement teams, prepare and implement protection plans for the timely delivery of activities.
Applicants must have-
- First Degree or equivalent in law, social work, or other relevant field.
- Minimum 2 years of experience delivering protection activities (case management, legal aid, trainings on protection standards, or similar) preferably in rural/refugee hosting areas.
- Prior understanding of Mixed Migration and/or Access to Justice is a considerable advantage.
- Minimum 2 years of experience working in community development, refugee assistance and/or community mobilization.
- Experience of working with Non-Governmental organizations.
- Good spoken and written English; Somali language skills is an advantage.
- Prior experience implementing protection activities in refugee settings is an advantage.
- Experience working with local government organizations, planning and implementing capacity building activities, is an advantage.
- Good communication skills and ability to conduct trainings and meetings.
- Understanding of gender, protection and human rights.
- Well-developed computer skills.
- Good organizational and people management skills.
- Ability to represent the organization and influence people.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, please visit DRC.