Deadline: 15 April 2017
The United Nations Office at Nairobi (UNON) is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Chief of Section in Nairobi, Kenya.
UNON supports programme implementation of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and the UN Human Settlements Programme (UN-HABITAT) globally, as well as other UN offices in Kenya, by providing administrative, conference and information services.
Key Jobs Responsibilities
The Chief of Section will perform the following functions-
- Provide advice and recommendation to the Chief of Service and the Director of Division, on conceptual strategy development and management of the implementation of overall procurement strategies and intra and inter-divisional/departmental procurement policies and procedures.
- Plan and oversee the management of procurement activities undertaken by the Section.
- Ensure that substantive work programme and programmed activities are carried out in a timely fashion.
- Coordinate diverse procurement projects in the Section, and in liaison with Offices away from Headquarters and other organizations of the United Nations System as appropriate.
- Provide substantive input in the preparation of position papers and reports for presentation to intergovernmental bodies such as the Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budget Questions, Committee for Programme Coordination, the General Assembly and other policy-making organs as appropriate.
- Contribute to the reporting to inter-governmental bodies on budget/ programme performance or on programmatic/substantive issues, as appropriate particularly those presented in biannual and/or annual reports.
- Foster teamwork and communication among staff in the Section and across organizational boundaries.
- Represent the Organization at inter-agency meetings, seminars and on substantive-related issues.
Applicants must have-
- Master’s degree or equivalent in business or public administration, commerce, engineering, law or related area.
- First-level university degree in above mentioned disciplines in combination with 2 additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Minimum 10 years of progressively responsible experience in procurement or related field in multicultural institutions is required, of which at least 5 years should be directly related to firsthand procurement experience or related functions at the international level.
- Experience in management of procurement activities within the UN common system is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat.
- Fluency in written and oral English is required.
- Working knowledge of another UN official language is desirable.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, please visit UNON.