Deadline: 27 February 2017
United Nations Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF) is currently seeking applications from eligible applicants for the post of Chief in Freetown, Sierra Leone.
The Chief will be responsible for managing and supervising all stages of child protection programs/projects from strategic planning and formulation to delivery of concrete and sustainable contributions to national and international efforts to create a protective environment for children against all harm.
UNICEF works for a world in which every child has a fair chance in life.
Key Jobs Responsibilities
The Chief will perform the following functions-
- Take primary responsibility for the development of the sectoral work plan and technical decisions as well as for programmme management, implementation and monitoring of assigned sectoral activity, in compliance with the defined programme strategies and approaches.
- Promote the organization goals of UNICEF through advocacy and policy dialogue through active engagement in communication, networking and participation at every opportunity inside and outside UNICEF, leveraging the strength of UNICEF mission , goals and programmes.
- Promote knowledge management by exchange of knowledge, information, situation analysis, experience or lessons learned; promote knowledge sharing and technical input or recommendations on major programme directions and on introduction of new initiatives in the country.
- Take primary responsibility for the development of the sectoral work plan and technical decisions as well as for programme management, implementation and monitoring of assigned project/sectoral activity, in compliance with the defined programme strategies and approaches.
- Collaborate with Communication and Programme Communication groups to ensure development of effective communication materials and strategies to support advocacy and social mobilization efforts.
- Overall coordination with Regional Advisers and HQ Officers.
- Collaborate with other Programme/Project Officers to ensure the integration of the sectoral programme with other sectors.
- Collaborate with the Operations and Supply Sections and Government authorities to establish and maintain sound internal controls supportive of Child Protection programme planning and implementation, to coordinate financial and supply management requirements as well as to ensure accountability.
Applicants must have-
- Master’s degree in international development, human rights, psychology, sociology, international law or other social science field is required.
- Minimum 8 years of professional relevant experience in social development planning and management in child protection and/other related areas at the national and international level, some of which preferably were served in a developing country is required.
- Relevant experience in child protection and related areas, program/project development and management in a UN system agency or organization is an asset.
- Experience in monitoring and evaluation of programmes will be an asset.
- Knowledge on human rights to programming, protection systems, gender issues.
- Experience in policy planning and development.
- Background/familiarity with Emergency is an asset.
- Fluency in English (written & verbal) is required.
- Knowledge of an additional UN Language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish) or a local language is considered an asset.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, please visit UNICEF.