Deadline: 15 March 2017
United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Policy Specialist in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. The duration of this post is 1 year.
The Policy Specialist will lead and supervise the UNDP-UNSIF project staff, ensures a client-oriented approach and consistency with UNDP rules and regulations in conformity with the UNDP Internal Control Framework and good management practice.
UNDP works in nearly 170 countries and territories, helping to achieve the eradication of poverty, and the reduction of inequalities and exclusion.
Key Job Responsibilities
The Policy Specialist will perform the following functions-
- Guide the implementation of UNDP’s policies and approaches to the SDG on sustainable energy (SDG#7) including the identification of programming opportunities and support to ongoing sustainable energy programmes.
- Support implementation of the UNDP Strategy on Energy.
- Develop linkages with other UNDP thematic areas, in particular climate change mitigation, to maximize synergies, optimize results on the ground, and promote a coordinated and coherent approach of UNDP’s work.
- Ensure coherence in terms of messaging and conceptual positioning of UNDP in the sustainable energy space vis a vis partners and clients.
- Engage in policy dialogue with country partners, represent UNDP at conferences, workshops and technical meetings and ensure that the programmatic experience from the ground informs corporate policy.
- Apply integrated multi-disciplinary approaches, including Development Solutions Teams (DSTs), to meet policy and programming needs in line with corporate guidance and standards.
- Mobilize financial resources from relevant donors and partners for implementing sustainable energy programmes and projects.
- Develop substantive work plans in line with corporate guidance and programmes ensuring alignment with other UNDP energy and climate mitigation programmes and initiatives in Africa.
- Lead the formulation of funding proposals, donor briefings and presentations in support of UNDP resource mobilization efforts for Africa.
Applicants must have-
- Master’s or equivalent degree in Energy, Engineering, Natural Sciences, Environmental Studies, Economics, Social sciences or related disciplines.
- At least 7 years of professional work experience, managing sustainable energy and/or climate mitigation programmes and/or providing policy advice and pioneering approaches in the area of sustainable energy.
- Experience working in Africa is required.
- Fluency in English and French, both written and oral.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, please visit UNDP.